Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Tip Tuesday #5: Sewing Machine

Hi everyone!
Welcome to another Tip Tuesday post.

Today's topic will be...sewing machines!




Sewing machines are scary. If you have very little experience with sewing like I did, a sewing machine will be extremely intimidating. The first time we tried to use a sewing machine, it was a bit of a disaster xD We had no idea how to thread it even after looking up several Youtube videos. But, with a bit of practice I have been able to get pretty good at using my sewing machine! So I wanted to offer a few tips on how to go about familiarizing yourself with a sewing machine :)

  • What kind of sewing machine should I start with? Start with something simple that does not have too many settings. I have a Brother LS-2125. It is simple and it is relatively inexpensive. It is a really great starter sewing machine! But you can use any machine you can get. As long as you have the user manual, you should be able to get around to use it. 





  • Read the user manual and/or watch Youtube videos. Every sewing machine is different so make sure to read the user manual if you have it. It is also useful to look up tutorials on Youtube/Google. Just familiarize yourself with the settings and parts of your sewing machine.
  • Get hands-on experience. Start learning to wind up a bobbin, how to thread the machine, how to lift the foot, and how to run fabric through the machine. Learn how to control the presser and about the different stitches you can use. Get scrap fabric and just start practicing running it through the machine. Don't worry about making anything yet. Just familiarize yourself with the machine. Become one with the machine!!
  • You can practice on sewing sheets! These are papers you can print out and use for sewing practice. You can find some HERE.
  • Pick a small project to start with. For me, it was sewing small things like the faux fur trim on my boots for Candy Cane Miss Fortune, or the ears for my Bunny Suit Poison Ivy. I then worked my way up to bigger things. Don't start with anything too complex!
  • Dive right in~ Once you feel comfortable with using your sewing machine, you can finally start with a larger project. For me it was a skirt. Skirts are not too complicated but they will give you and idea of how to work with patterns, sewing pieces together, hemming, zippers, waistbands, and/or how to make pleats. 
The first step in learning how to sew cosplay costumes will be becomes bffs with the sewing machine. Honestly I can tell you by personal experience that the best way to learn how to use a sewing machine is not by watching tutorials, but my just diving in and getting hands-on experience!

Star Wars Font

No comments:

Post a Comment