Monday, September 21, 2015

Cosplay Tutorial: Yamuraiha (Magi) Ear Shells

Hey, Generation of Cosplayers!
DarthNancy here ^_^

Starting today I am going to be sharing some posts about how I created my Yamuraiha cosplay from the Magi series! Magi has become one of my favorite anime series, and Yamuraiha caught my attention from the moment she first appears in the show. I identify with her a lot and I really like her design, so I decided to cosplay her because of that. Today's tutorial is going to be focused on the magic devices she has by her ears. These devices have a bit of an odd shape (not gunna lie) but I am going to show you a super easy way to create these!




Materials Used
- 2 conch shells
- Gold spray paint
- 1 thin headband
- Hot glue gun
- crap ton of hot glue sticks



Tutorial

Step 1: Get two conch shells that are to a size of your liking.
The shells I got were 4 inches long because I wanted the shells to be smaller than Yamuraiha's. I feel like if they are too big they stick out too much. But it is all a matter of preference. I find that using shells is the easiest way to go with making these because they already have a similar shape! I got my shells on Etsy because I couldn't find any around where I live.
Delicate Tibia Shell (3 pcs.) - Tibia Delicatula



Step 2: Spray Paint them gold!
Take your shells and spray paint them gold. Spray painting will be the easiest way to give the shells a nice even color.  I used the Krylon Premium Metallic Paint in 18kt Gold.

Step 3: Glue the shells onto a headband!
Get a thin headband and place it on your head. Measure where you want to glue the shells (they should be near your ears) and start hot gluing the shells on the headband. You might want to fill the inside of the conch shell with hot glue to make the gluing process easier. It will take quite a bit of glue to get the shells secured on the headband, just a heads up xD



Step 4: Try on the headband and make sure the shells are in the right position. 
If they are not, try removing the glue and gluing in on again. Once you are content with the way the shells look, make sure the shells are secured tightly to the headband.

Step 5: Hide the headband with strand of hair from the wig!
You don't really want the headband to be visible, so do your best to hide it under strands of hair from the wig you wear. I did this and it worked out pretty well. If you are going to be wearing Yamu's hat all the time, it won't really matter since the hat will cover up the headband anyway.


Ta-Da! That is pretty much it! You're ready to wear your magic shells to store your magoi!
Yay, magic~ 



Have you watched the Magi series?
Star Wars Font

1 comment: