Monday, September 14, 2015

Prop Tutorial: Candy Cane Miss Fortune Guns

"How do you like my guns? Shock...and Awe❤"



Hello everyone! DarthNancy here!
Today, I'm going to show you guys how I made my Candy Cane guns for my Miss Fortune cosplay!
 ^_^ These were the first props I ever made 100% by hand and I am really excited to share the process with you. They are not perfect, but I am really proud that I was able to make these! I hope you will find this tutorial helpful :)



Materials Used
  1. 2 Styrofoam cones
  2. 2 Styrofoam wheels/circles
  3. Carving knife
  4. Hot glue gun
  5. Masking Tape
  6. Newspaper
  7. Paper Mache glue (Elmer's Glue, cornstarch, and water)
  8. Woodglue
  9. White spray paint
  10. White acrylic paint
  11. Red acrylic pain
  12. Green fabric (I used 100% cotton)
  13. Green thread 



Tutorial

 I first started out by buying 2 styrofoam cones and 2 styrofoam wheels. This is not the cheapest way to go about making the guns, but it is the easiest! I bought these at Joanns and used coupons so they would be cheaper.
The cone is going to be our gun cylinder, and the wheel is going to be the handle. As you can see below, I cut off the tip of the cone and a section from the wheel. I did this to connect both parts together. If you want the gun to be seamless, try to cut the cone so that the connecting area is the same circumference as the section of the wheel. Basically, you want to fit these two parts like a puzzle.
Once you have cut both parts enough, hot glue them together.
At this point, you also want to hollow out the "barrel" of the gun (where the bullets would exit the gun). I did this with a carving knife. You don't have to be super exact or make hole too deep.



Now that you have glued the two parts (as you can see below), it is time to maks tape the entire prop! This is so you can paper mache the entire thing smoothly. Styrofoam is bumpy and has a lot of holes so you absolutely need to tape it! Taping the whole thing makes paper mache-ing a lot easier (and it will also make your prop more sturdy).



Mask tape the WHOLE thing! Yes, it is annoying, but do it anyway xD



Now, that you've tapped the gun, it is time to paper mache!!! Woot, paper mache party!! Get your glue and newspaper strips ready. And make sure to work over some sort of easily cleanable surface.



Start paper mache-ing! You can see below that paper mache-ing the hollow part of the gun and around the rim was really annoying D;< 




Paper mache-ing will most likely take a good while, depending on how many layers you put on. I think I only did two layers because I was in a hurry xD



After you finish paper mache-ing both guns and you have let them dry properly, it is time to PRIME! Yes, you absolutely want to prime your guns before you start painting. Although paper mache gave the guns a smoother surface, it is not smooth enough. Below, you can see my gun is white. This is because I used Gesso, a white colored primer. However, this did not turn out so well. I suggest going with Woodglue instead. I ended up having to go over the Gesso with Woodglue anyway because the Gesso didn't smooth out my guns enough. Do about 4-8 layers of Woodglue. The more, the better. On the very last coat you do, wet your hands with water and smooth out the entire thing before it dries. Doing this gives your prop the smoothest surface!



After you are done priming, paint the entire thing with either white spray paint or white acrylic paint. The paint on the Candy Cane stripes with red spray paint/acrylic paint. I did the swirls using painters tape but honestly I didn't do a very good job on it! I don't want to give too much advice when it comes to painting because I'm terrible at it!!





As for the green bows, I used the tutorial below to make them. I purchased 100% cotton green fabric from Joanns and made two bows for my guns using this method. It is really easy to make them this way! The only thing I would suggest you do is to add interfacing material inside the bow to make them stiff and stay firm on top of the gun. I find that just using fabric alone makes the bows a little too flimsy. I might re-makes my bows in the near future...



And Ta-Da! You're all done! Although you might need to fix it once in a while. The red paint has chipped a bit so I need to go back and fix it but that is a really easy fix. I hope this tutorial was useful!


See you next time ^_^
Star Wars Font


No comments:

Post a Comment